Tuesday, September 14, 2010

$$$$$$

Ok I debated on whether or not I should blog about the financial part of this whole IVF thing and decided that yes I should!  Before this came into our world I had no idea what the cost was, insurance coverage, drug cost etc.  So I think that it is important to write about this part too because this part can be one of the biggest burdens on a family, maybe someday I will share this with someone who is also facing infertility so here we go! Now I can officially say that those who are reading this know all the nitty gritty...... our follicles, eggs, sperm, and MONEY!

Now starting off I will say that we are very blessed to have partial coverage through Dell, this is actually rare to have any help so we are thankful!  Aetna is paying $3500 total lifetime maximum which is very generous in the world of fertility treatments, many families have zero coverage.  I have been keeping a list of every charge we have paid out of pocket and so far we have spent a whopping total of $16,839.13!  Out of that $3437.90 is for drugs!   Yesterday I spent $1100 between my ultrasound and blood work combined with a RX refill!  Can you believe that I had to order ONE 600 unit cartridge of Follistim and it cost us $847!  That is $423 per injection,as I get two injections out of one cartridge!  HOLY MOLY this is expensive stuff, it blows my mind!   Needless to say I am praying for no more refills!

There are many different people to pay through this process, Nashville Fertility Center, the reproductive lab, the surgery center............. lots of pieces to the puzzle!
I have to say that I thought I was ready for the money part but the past couple weeks I am really starting to dread checkout!   On the flip side of this I feel that this is the BEST money we have every spent..............just kind of hard to wrap my head around it all now that it has piled up to this substantial amount!   It is really interesting talking to people about their baby journeys and how much money was involved, $16,000 is nothing compared to many couples who have had multiple IVF cycles, adoptions etc.   So really this has been very eye opening for me!  I know they say you learn something new everyday, never thought I would learn all about this!

So I leave this feeling better that I have not left this important part out!  Just a glimpse of the financial commitment!

Will be back tomorrow afternoon after my morning check!

No comments:

Post a Comment